This egg masala is the perfect recipe for those looking to get protein in while avoiding meat. It combines sweet and spicy flavours that compliment any rice dish or roti. Since eggs are not very good at absorbing flavours, we recommend shallowly slicing the eggs on the top and bottom in an X shape to allow the gravy to seep into the egg and give it more flavour. Be careful to do this lightly without touching the yolk of the egg as this might result in the yolk breaking out of the egg and possibly affecting the texture and look of the dish.
5 boiled eggs
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
Handful of crushed dried curry leaves
3 small onions diced
2 green chillies sliced in half
2 medium tomatoes diced
1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
1 teaspoon coriander cumin powder
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 heaped teaspoons Aria Kitchen All Purpose Masala
100ml tamarind water
Coriander leaves (garnish)
1) Heat some oil in a pan and add in the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and dried curry leaves.
2) After the spices have spluttered, add the diced onion and fry until soft.
3) Add in the green chillies and fry for a few minutes.
4) When the chillies soften, add the tomatoes and ginger garlic paste.
5) Season with salt and turmeric powder and allow the tomatoes to soften enough to resemble a paste.
6) Add in the coriander cumin powder, Aria Kitchen All Purpose Masala and chilli powder and mix well.
7) Leave the masala to cook for a few minutes and blend with the tomatoes on a low heat.
8) When the masala begins to release an aroma, pour in the tamarind water and water to your desired consistency.
9) Place your eggs into the gravy and coat the eggs evenly.
10) Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.